www.newton-le-willows.com

History Forum

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Some sections of this website make use of Adobe Flash objects, your browser doesn't allow these objects
to run, you can download the needed adobe flash component for your browser type, from this link for free.

Borron Road

This website Forum is provided to allow discussion concerning the local history of the Newton-le-Willows & Earlestown area.

(Any posts made to this forum not related to the local history of this area, or that are deemed unsuitable, will be moderated or deleted.)

Moderator: Moderator

Borron Road

Postby davros » October 17th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Hi, does anyone know what year Gas Street became Borron Road? I've looked at the old map section but there isn't any maps between 1933 and 1960. I know it was named after Charles Borron who owned The Glass Bottle Works from 1865 to 1924. He died in 1927. Was the name changed when the Gas Works closed? (anyone know what year that happened?) Info would be useful for next History discussion group meeting. Thanks in anticipation.
Davros
davros

Online: 0s
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Borron Road

Postby Podstar66 » October 17th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Hi,
I have a map dated 1956 and it still says Gas Street. And a map of 1959/60 shows it as Borron Road. So it is between those two dates.

Pod
Podstar66
Forum Moderator

Postby davros » October 17th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Thanks Pod for that information , it was good of you to get out your maps for me. Now i'm wondering why it took so many years from Borrons death to the road being named after him.
Davros
davros

Postby Podstar66 » October 17th, 2011, 11:11 pm

On the 1956 map, all of the Glass Works has gone, and the Gas Works has a lot less buildings to it, so may possibly have shut down too.

This could be why it took so long after. If the Gas Works closed down, then the street name makes no sense, so maybe they decided to change it.
But then why name it after someone who had a glass works there, which itself had been closed and demolished, that would go against the reason to change the name of Gas Street in the first place ( if you go with my theory, lol )

Pod
Podstar66
Forum Moderator

Postby mike59 » October 18th, 2011, 3:49 pm

It is a little odd as to why Borron didn't get a street named after him earlier..

As he spent a great deal of time living in the Wargrave area, I suppose there was an opportunity to name one of the streets on the Trees Estate after him, that development was completed by 1935, so that would have been ideal, but then I've never heard of a 'Borron Tree', so perhaps not so ideal.

I know the Fairbrother Estate development didn't commence till after WW2, and I believe there was still some building of dwellings during the 1960's.
As there is quiet a substantial number of streets, avenues, etc on that estate that are named after Councillors, perhaps the powers that be thought this was the time to give Charlie Borron some street cred :)

Mike
mike59

Postby ironside » October 18th, 2011, 6:01 pm

I think youre spot on Mike, Charles Borron was a JP and may have had other connections with the council,he had lived originally at Wargrave by the Church but spent most of his later life at 'The Heights' at Golbourne.
Still if youre having a shiny new estate youv'e got to rename one of the main roads into it -'Gas St' just dosnt sound right!

Regards

Dave
ironside

Postby davros » October 18th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Thanks for your input , I think Charles Borron was looked upon as a saviour to many, when he reopened the Bottle Works in 1865 and thus created much needed work for the redundant workforce of the former Crown Glass Works. There must have been a lot of unemployment when the old glass works closed in 1861 due to St.Helens Crown glass buying them out and closing them immediately to effectively cut out a 'formidable enemy' as WilliamPilkington put it. So even then Newton-le-willows was under the thumb of St Helens! But not for long because he reopened the glass works but started to manufacture bottles instead of sheet glass. So maybe that's why they renamed Gas St as Borron Road.
Davros
davros

Postby ironside » October 18th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Hi davros'

,going back to your original question,i have just had a dig around and the last of the factory (one of the chimmneys) was demolished with dynamite September 1927 -there was a photo in one of the local papers at the time and an interview with Mr Birkinhead the Watchman (previously the Blacksmith before retirement) he was my Great Grandfather,so the land was clear around that time,coincidentally Charles Borron died a few months later aged 86

Regards

Dave
ironside

Postby mike59 » October 18th, 2011, 8:16 pm

ironside wrote:I think youre spot on Mike, Charles Borron was a JP and may have had other connections with the council,he had lived originally at Wargrave by the Church but spent most of his later life at 'The Heights' at Golbourne.
Still if youre having a shiny new estate youv'e got to rename one of the main roads into it -'Gas St' just dosnt sound right!

Regards

Dave

I make you right Dave, Gas St just hasn't the same glow..so to speak.

As for Charlie Borron, he wasn't everyone's cup of tea from what I've read, but he did mix within a certain circle that seemed to keep him at the forefront of politics in the district.

Your correct with him living in Wargrave - In the church grounds (The Cottage) where as you know he married the Rev james Carson's Daughter, Murial, in 1897. He moved to 'The Heights' sometime soon after as he was residing there in 1900 when the Water tower on Southworth Rd was opened.

Mike
mike59