www.newton-le-willows.com

History Forum

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Some sections of this website make use of Adobe Flash objects, your browser doesn't allow these objects
to run, you can download the needed adobe flash component for your browser type, from this link for free.

The Pipeline project

This website Forum is provided to allow discussion concerning the local history of the Newton-le-Willows & Earlestown area.

(Any posts made to this forum not related to the local history of this area, or that are deemed unsuitable, will be moderated or deleted.)

Moderator: Moderator

Postby She » July 1st, 2009, 7:39 am

I didnt see a phone number Bob, but will check my messages again. I will call her if I find it.
I don't see the pipeline routes as particulary dangerous. I guess one could say that the embankments of soil mounded up could be a safety hazard if you were to climb on them, but otherwise I dont see how I could break a limb walking around on a flat surface. I think I would come to more harm walking around Willow Park of an evening. I suspect its more to do with the fact that "Murphys Pipeline" have indemnity insurance for their sites as is law, and so should someone break a leg walking down a flat surface, I guess that technically they could make a claim against the insurance. I guess that if one signed some sort of agreement with them that you wouldn't sue, that they may be okay with it. I also wonder if (like many other building contractors), they prefer to discourage anyone snooping around for archeology because they fear a find of significance would halt the project timeline. As the project has already been delayed (since the pipe actually leaks), maybe they would be in less of a hurry now and more open to someone detecting in these areas.

It is a shame if they didn't have some tolerance really. These pipeline routes are all over the place. There are woodlands near Worsley that have probably never had their top soil removed ever, and who knows what lies beneath. The area near the old Roman Road at Haydock must surely be of interest. It is a shame to let this opportunity go to waste.
Cheers Sheila
She
Forum Moderator

Online: 0s
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Pipeline project

Postby ps68060 » July 23rd, 2009, 4:35 pm

I just looked at the depression in the field off Kenyon Lane. It might be mining subsidence. There are similar features nearby:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1

One question, there are various ponds around that area that look like material has been extracted. Any ideas ?
ps68060

Postby bob » July 23rd, 2009, 6:42 pm

Ponds are called marl pits, i think ( not sure) that they was used for several reasons, like field drainage, water supply, and for clay to add to the soil in the field, the square mark in the field looks to me to be either the foundations of an older farmhouse, or the remains of a fishpond, i will have to ask Mr Worsley what it was he should know.
Bob
fmark.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bob
Forum Moderator

Postby She » July 23rd, 2009, 8:37 pm

I once thought that this area may have been victim to cascades of Meteorite's from outer space, so frequent was the perfectly formed pox marks (ponds) all over our fields. Then farmer Worsley put my mind at rest, and told me that this area was once heavily into dairy farming and that these ponds were cut out for the cows to drink from. So there goes my alien conspiracy theories! May or may not be what you are talking about here, but farmers did mess about with the geology of the fields just to confuse us folk!
Cheers Sheila
She
Forum Moderator

Postby bob » July 24th, 2009, 9:45 am

Just for interest, i searched the data base for that area, nothing came up on the 1km, but on the 2km it shows Lowton Hall, and that was more towards my home at Lowton St Marys,
Bob
mapsearch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bob
Forum Moderator

Postby She » July 24th, 2009, 10:40 am

Whilst we have wavered off the subject a bit and moved into discussing odd geological features that seem out of place - just to mention that I was at Winwick carnival last weekend, and the large playing field behind the school and social club also seemed to have some odd stuff going on.
Via Google maps and an aerial view there is what appears to be a path that goes across this field. However when you are on the field itself - it is actually a sort of trench and an elevation...almost dare I say like a moat. If it was a moat, then this indeed was a large structure.

Could be the old priory maybe? Or if I am allowed to dream a little - King Oswalds castle at Arbury! Thats me just being romantic.... :wink:
Cheers Sheila
She
Forum Moderator

Postby callaway » July 24th, 2009, 5:19 pm

I know this area is not quite in the Newton area but does anyone know anything about an archialogical dig on the pipeline at the side of the road that leads to Ashton Cross near Ashton Golf Club? I drove past it this afternoon and there are a couple of trenches and other uncovered areas visible.
callaway

Postby She » July 24th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Oooooo- what a scoop. No I don't but I would love to know more. Yes Ashton is on the periphery, but we share the same Roman Road. Bob??????????
Cheers Sheila
She
Forum Moderator

Postby callaway » July 24th, 2009, 5:40 pm

Down East lancs to Little Chef at Haydock, turn left, left at r'bout, under bridge, left at r'bout. look at the pipeline on the left.
callaway

Postby bob » July 24th, 2009, 8:20 pm

i have spoke to the Lady Arch covering that section, but i get the impression there is just nothing there of any interest,
i think mainly because they have found something near to Windle island,and that is keeping them busy, that is all i know.
but on this 1849 map it looks like there may have been a few more farm houses at one time by the shape of the field system, but i am not an expert.
florida.jpg

its a shame the pipeline doesnt go a bit further north west,
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.4 ... 1&t=h&z=16
Bob
bob
Forum Moderator

Postby callaway » July 24th, 2009, 8:30 pm

Hi Bob, you would be better off going for a look yourself. The position is easy to find, probably where your green dot is but directly next to the road. If I get chance I will take some pics in the morning, how do you post them online, is it just copy and paste?
callaway

Postby bob » July 24th, 2009, 9:56 pm

hi, i have had a quick look but not in great detail,
if you want to upload a picture, in the reply section lower down the page, you will see - upload attachment -
you have to use that tool, and place inline.
bob
bob
Forum Moderator

Postby ruzz69 » July 27th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Hi Bob,
I called round to that site on Friday and spoke to the Archeologists. It is a 17th Century farmhouse/Hall they have uncovered. They hadn't founfd anything of interest so far
Regards
Russ
ruzz69

Postby She » September 16th, 2009, 7:18 pm

Hi y'all
Just trying to get an update/ gossip etc, having been weeks away from the site.

I have noticed that the diggers are going down deeper now as all the waterpipes have started to arrive. Has anyone heard anything at all - re finds of interest? Yep /nope???? I think "little of note" is the probable response.

I suspect that even if they did accidentally uncover a Roman vessel containing rare Gold coins lying on top of a Tyrannosaurus Rex jaw bone, that this interesting find would simply be unnoticed in the mud and dirt. I am making assumptions that the loveable Murphy's workguys are more interested in reading "The Sun" than looking out for artifacts. I don't mean to be cheeky or insulting, just making the point that the average workman isn't interested in looking out for artifacts. So I wonder just how much history is being simply over looked in this huge project? Lots and lots I bet.....

"What Viking longboat Fred - just some planks of wood gone rotton" !
Cheers Sheila
She
Forum Moderator

Postby She » June 6th, 2010, 7:20 am

If anyone hasn't tried the 2010 updated version of Google Earth yet, please give it a go. You can see the entire pipeline project from Space and track the course. However a new brill feature is being able to go back in time back to 2000 and see how the landscape has altered in 10 years. Very impressive!
Cheers Sheila
She
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext